With cold and flu season here, it's time to set the record straight about some common myths associated with these illnesses!
1. You get a cold from being outside in cold weather. WRONG! The cold and flu are both spread by associating with people with low morals.
2. You should "starve a cold, feed a fever." WRONG! If you are sick, you should consume a strict diet of the bottom layer of the inside of a Milky Way bar. So, JUST THE NOUGAT, and not the caramel. Removing the other layers is a time consuming and messy process, but it must be done.
3. Echinacea will help cure a cold. WRONG. This is a lie being spread by the government to get us hooked on this chemical, which will ultimately result in all of us becoming fuzzy headed hippies, walking around making peace signs, singing James Taylor songs. Which is just what they want. Then the communists move in and take charge.
4. Zinc boosts your immune system. WRONG. Consuming large quantities of this metal will, however keep you from rusting.
5. When you sneeze you should cover your mouth with your hand. WRONG! Any time you sneeze, a portion of your soul is released into the air. This is why you must bless someone after a sneeze. Sneeze into a Ziploc bag, seal it, and then reintroduce this bag of soul back into your body. I won't give you all the details, but it is the same way drugs are smuggled into prison.
You could own a real piece of Thanksgiving history! The actual proclamation declaring Thanksgiving a national holiday, signed by President George Washington is going to be sold at an auction. There is only one other copy of this document, and it's in the Library of Congress. The "priceless" document has a price! It's expected to sell for between 8 and 12 million dollars.
Don't you think our national treasures should be in, I don't know, say a museum? Why do I have the feeling this is going to end up taped to the wall of Justin Bieber's garage, next to a Budweiser mirror and a dartboard?
This is ABBA done in wax at Madame Taussauds. For years we've thought that this was about as close as we were ever going to get to seeing the Swedish supergroup together again. But now there's some hope that it may happen in our lifetime!
Agnetha Faltskog (Is she the first or second "A"?) said that to celebrate the 40th anniversary of winning the Eurovision Song Contest with "Waterloo" in 1974, there "seem to be plans to do something to mark this anniversary in some way." Okay, that's not a lot to go on, but I'll take it. A concert? A tour? Who knows!
Forgive me if I've been obsessing about an ABBA reunion too much lately! It's one of my 3 big "rock and roll reunions" I'd like to see. The others are Journey with Steve Perry and Chicago with Peter Cetera.
New this year: The Jennifer Lopez Barbie! There are two different models, the "World Tour" J-Lo with a clingy stage outfit and boots, and the "Red Carpet" Jennifer Barbie with an elegant gown and her hair up. And they both eerily resemble the star!
Both are described as "curvier" than the regular Barbie proportions!
This isn't it, by the way, it's the real thing!
Photo: Getty Images
A study from India suggests that speaking a second language can delay the onset of dementia by several years. Some doctors think that switching between two different languages stimulates the brain, like brain jumping jacks (I added that part!).
In a related story, I am learning to speak Spanish by listening to "Learn Spanish" cds in the car. Here's all I've got for sure now:
Mi perra la gusta comer gusanos.
My dog likes to eat worms. This is true, by the way. She loves them, and will gobble them up like me with a bucket of popcorn. Anyway, there! This guy's staying sane for 5 more years! That was easy! I mean facil!
Blockbuster announced the closing of all its remaining 300 U.S. stores by January. Customer preferences have changed, and most people are now getting movies streamed from on-line sources like Netflix or on-demand from their cable TV provider.
While I'm sad to see people put out of work at these stores, it does take away a minor source of stress that's been nagging me for about 2 decades. I've left a trail of late fees at every video store in every city I've lived in for years. I'd forget about a couple movies for a few days, then slink back in there and stuff them in the slot and run away. Then, next time I'd go to a different store, fill out another application and get another one of those glossy, laminated cards from the new store. I'm sure my picture ended up behind the counter with a big red X across it.
With Blockbusters closing, do you think I'm in the clear, or will they hunt me down somehow? Just to be safe, I'm watching my back. And Netflix.
Shoppers beware this holiday season! There's a flood of counterfeit stuff hitting the market now, including "brand-name" handbags, toys, shoes, beauty products and even fake X-Box consoles.
This junk is being mass-produced and sold online. One study found that 1 in 5 online customers bought something counterfeit last year, and it's supposed to be worse this season.
Now, just to set my mind at ease: I got my wife something nice and got a great deal on it. It's one of those nice handbags from Goochie.